Sunday, November 9, 2008

Crossing a quiet upstate New York country road.

At 2:11 we entered Canajoharie the home of Beech Nut baby food. We looked for some place to eat and spotted a seafood restaurant. Just the smell of fish turned my stomach. We went in but there was no A/C and there was no way I could stay. We asked a couple sitting outside where was a good place to eat and they told us to go down Church St. and we would have our pick.

I spotted The Village Restaurant at the end of the first block (59 Church St., Canajoharie, NY) and told Kathy I wanted to eat there. We ordered and when our food came I was unable to eat. I had become totally incapable of functioning. I couldn’t eat, couldn’t think. I reluctantly aborted the ride.


The two waitresses (turns out they are sisters) and their Mom in the kitchen became aware of what was happening and they sprang into action. While Kathy was trying to get hold of Jimmy to see if he could come to the rescue (again) our angels at the restaurant were working all their contacts. They assured me they would not let me get back on that bike…they would get help.


Well they sure did. The restaurant owner’s husband has a big Chevy pickup and he was willing to drive us to Latham where Kathy’s Ridgeline was waiting.


As we were getting ready to leave one of the girls came out with my salad in a take home box. She said I’d probably get hungry later on and she wanted me to have something to eat. These kids were so genuinely concerned. Another instance of the kindness of strangers.


On the way home we talked about how we wished we knew their names. When I got home and put the salad into the refrigerator, there it was on the top of the styrofoam box: Thanks! Stop again. From friends in Canajoharie—Cassie, Karlie, Dawn. Bless their hearts.

No comments: